Saturday, May 24, 2014

Remember me? It's Peggy...and some oven tacos!

Oh Internets, how sorry I am for neglecting you. Things have been CA-RAZY around here! And school is nearly out so it's just going to get worse! I'm going to spend the summer making fun treats and some trying out some of the many kid projects I've pinned on Pinterest so while I plan on going dark social media-wise to enjoy the summer with my kids, I'm going to keep posting here so hopefully I can help some of YOU make some sweet memories with YOUR little friends this summer as well.
So I didn't have time to crank out any cool projects this week, but my family DOES need to eat. Like, every day. So this week I tried out a recipe from my recipe board. What did I make, you ask? Why, I made "Oven Tacos!" I reply. This is the pin

Now, if you head over to the pinner at Raining Hot Coupons you will find that she provides a recipe for homemade taco seasoning. It's probably delicious. I say "probably" because I don't know for sure because I had a packet of taco seasoning in the cupboard and that was good enough for me! So I gathered my ingredients (up to and including the aforementioned packet of taco seasoning)


And got to work! First, I browned the ground beef (not pictured in the ingredients picture. Poor left out ground beef!)


And then I drained it because 80/20 was greasier than I thought it would be and..ewwww. BTDubs, do you know this fancy grease draining trick?


Put a piece of aluminum foil in a bowl and drain the grease into the foiled (ha ha) bowl. When the grease hardens you just gather up the foil and toss it in the trash! Tada!

Then I added the tomato sauce, taco seasoning and refried beans. All at once. One big happy taco family!




Stirred it up and let it simmer for about 5 minutes..


Oh...forgot the cheese! Look. I also used cheese. Sheesh! Was I drinking when I took my ingredient picture?? Such careless blogging. My apologies, dear Internets.

Note: The cheesestick is what I gave Poquito Tito 
to tide him over until dinner was ready because 
he was starving and was about to expire any 
second from not having eaten for 2 whole hours 
since snacktime. It was NOT part of the recipe!

With everything simmered and tastes blended and all that jazz, I put some taco shells in a baking pan (standing up) and filled those suckers with the taco deliciousness. 


I added some of the (now included in the pictures) cheese and tossed those bad boys in the oven



This is what they looked like when they came out:


Say it with me now! "MMM MMM MMM!!" Yum. I added the toppings, plated 'em up and dinner was served!


They were SUPER good. I really liked adding the beans to the taco meat. Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have to say that my kids hated them. Mostly because these days my kids hate anything that isn't dino-nuggets, macaroni and cheese and sandwiches. Sigh. They'll choke it down but not without weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Such an adventure, motherhood. My husband, on the other hand, hates tacos and he ate like 4 of these!

So whiny kids notwithstanding, I'm going to deem this pin a success. It was fast and easy and delicious. 3 of my favorite qualities in a recipe! I think you should try it...ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment