Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Post from Taylor - An Easter Egg Garland (and the dilemmas of not having a very big house)

I love holiday decorations. Maybe because my mom got really into decorating for Easter when I was a little kid. I don't know. I just love all things pastel, egg shaped, and bunny shaped. They make me happy. Since I'm a newlywed and kind of on the poor side of life, I don't have the luxury of spending a lot of money on said decorations. Thank goodness for Pinterest! I saw this pin and thought, "I could do that!" It's a garland made out of plastic easter eggs. Eclectically Vintage has a bunch of super cute ideas on their site, I highly recommend checking a few out.

You can see the original pin here, or the website with (unclear) instructions, here.
Seems totally easy right?! I was sort of wrong. It's harder than it looks. Don't get me wrong, still totally do-able. But not exactly as quick and easy as I expected. It took me almost a full hour. I was expecting maybe 20 minutes. On the bright side, there are only two materials necessary. Fishing line, and cheap plastic eggs. The website does say you can use any type of string or ribbon to tie them all together, but I decided fishing line would be the easiest to thread through those tiny holes. I don't know about you guys, but no one in my house fishes (let's be honest here, we also don't do anything even remotely outdoor recreational unless there is a ball involved), but if you don't want to spend money, anything you have at home would totally work. I thought ribbon would be a really cute addition, but I didn't have any that would match and I wanted to go as thrifty as possible. I bought the fishing line and 42 plastic eggs at Walmart for a total of $5.26 with tax. In other words, pretty darn cheap! Here are my materials:


Here's a good heads up for you; you need two strands of fishing line. I cut mine both about 15 feet long. The first thing you do is tie the two strings together at the end. Make sure your knot is big enough not to slip through the holes you are about to thread it through! Some of the eggs had holes that weren't exactly open, like this one:


I just used the tip of a mechanical pencil to poke through the thin layer of plastic covering the holes. It was the perfect size and it wasn't hard at all to poke the holes through with it. Next you open the egg you want to thread, thread one thread through each hole on the bottom of the egg, towards the inside. Then you thread from the inside of the egg out through the top holes. When you've pulled the strings both through, you close the egg. I tried to avoid doing a pattern because I'm kind of OCD about patterns and I thought a strict pattern wouldn't be as much fun as random colors. That's right, I went off the pattern grid! Be proud people, be proud. Like I said, it took me almost a full hour to do this so be warned that if you use something that is tricky to thread through the holes or if you have super shaky hands (like me) that it's gonna take awhile! At the end of this project though, I think it turned out so cute!!!

Sorry for the bad picture. My dining room has TERRIBLE lighting. See frustrations below. :)
Now to my complaining about not having a very big house. Don't get me wrong. I love my adorable two bedroom townhouse that we were super lucky to find for our first home. But here's the problem. I got this awesome garland done and was so excited to put it up. Then I looked around and realized I had no where cute for it! Well shoot. I looked at my adorable husband and asked where we should put it (you never know, maybe he'll come up with the perfect spot, right?!) No such luck. He looked at me like I had just asked him to solve world hunger. He tried real hard though! And the suggestion of around the doorframe wasn't a bad one! Eventually I settled on putting it above the dining room window, and I think it's delightful. Chalk it up to a win folks, we have another Pinterest success story on our hands!




No comments:

Post a Comment