Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Post from Peggy--Peepcorn..and, Potentially, An Apology

WARNING: This post contains potentially offensive anti-Peeps and anti-butter themes. If you feel like this will offend you, please accept my sincerest pre-apologies for the offense.  But I will not apologize for hating Peeps and butter. If hating Peeps and butter is wrong, I don't wanna be right.


Pop Quiz: What are the blue things in the picture above? If you answered "Marshmallowy Deliciousness" you are wrong.  Very, very wrong. Here's how we can turn these disgusting chewy wrongs into delicious chewy rights..the answer, my friends is PEEPCORN! Does this pin look familiar?


Since I super hate Peeps but super love marshmallow popcorn, I was excited to give this pin a try. This is how I did it. First, of course, I gathered my materials:


Peeps, popcorn and margarine. This is where the second potentially offensive content comes. I hate butter. I know that margarine is like chemical cancer, I get that, but butter is gross. Unless the words before it are "I Can't Believe It's Not" you will never see it in my house. I use margarine interchangeably with butter. Blog friends, this is a dirty fact about me that you're just going to have to get used to. I apologize in advance for my offensive use of margarine. Back to the pin! (P.S. Here is the website that has the full instructions..gotta give credit where credit is due!) So I gathered the stuff (please don't tell my grandmother that I am not using Orville Redenbacher popcorn. She'd be extremely disappointed!) First, I  popped some popcorn. I probably only really needed 1/4 c unpopped popcorn for both boxes of Peeps. This is my kids' favorite part! 


I popped the popcorn whose brand shall not be named and then I took the kernels out because we don't have dental insurance. 

Now, since I'm not super awesome at reading instructions, I didn't quite get to the bottom of the pin that says how much butter to use. So I used half a stick. The pin says 2 tsp. If you do this, for heaven's sake, only use 2 teaspoons! So I melted the butter in a pan and then added the Peeps.


I just stirred and stirred and tried not to enjoy the fact that those gross little chickens were melting into nothing. 


Stabbing the mixture while muttering, "Melt you disgusting pieces of marshmallow grossness!" will frighten the children. Um, trust me. So I mixed and melted and poured it over the popcorn.


Mixing..mixing...


Mixed!! Tada! I let Mademoiselle taste it to see how it worked out.


I asked her how she liked it--she thought for a second and said, "I like it! It tastes like ducks!" Now, I feel like I should be honest with you here. She's never actually tasted ducks.

I have to say, although I've never tasted ducks either, that if they taste like this I am a fan! This stuff is delicious! It tastes great, it's super cheap to make (it'll be even cheaper after Easter when they're practically giving those nasty things away!), it's quick and it's something the kids can help make. This pin was DEFINITELY a success!!

2 comments:

  1. Another reason we are great friends....I HATE PEEPS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I decided to make these into Peep-corn balls for a bake sale this weekend. And I told the person in charge that I was making this. Then I made a giant mess in my kitchen! The first attempt was a near-bust, using green chicks.

    Then I switched to a smaller saucepan (I highly recommend this) and used bunnies. I had more popcorn, probably 5 cups-ish, so I used all 12 of the little bunnies, plus about 2 TABLEspoons of actual butter (that plastic you're eating will kill you, but apparently my alcohol will kill me so it's all good, right?). Melt, stir, melt, and it WORKED so much better than the first try.

    So I stuck with bunnies, mostly. And I now have 2 dozen Peep-corn balls in various colors for the bake sale.

    The last try was purple chicks and I don't think I'm crazy. They melt differently and I think the sugar-to-marshmallow ratio may be just different enough to cause me grief. I'll stick with melting bunnies if I do this again.

    ReplyDelete