Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Post from Taylor - Intros and Some Easter Egg Dying

Hello internets! :) I'm so excited to get my first post up for you today. We've decided here at Two Girls and a Pinterest Problem to tackle all of those pins with themes to keep it all organized. Don't worry, if we have something totally blog worthy unrelated to our current theme, we'll still post it. We're not very good at keeping juicy secrets anyway! As I'm sure you can guess, right now we're doing an Easter theme.  Shoutout to Peggy for her awesome Easter egg wreath. In keeping with that, I tried out McCormick's recipe for some really vibrantly colored Easter eggs. Here's their recipe, it's been floating around Pinterest for quite awhile:


So I gathered up my usual dying supplies. I prefer to use the disposable cups because, well, I like my mugs to stay the color they're supposed to be. Grabbed my trusty vinegar and food coloring and got ready to start.


Now, McCormick's website didn't give the usual warning of not using vinegar with the pink colors. Well... I wish they would have! Me, being my naive self, didn't even think about it being a problem. Any of the recipes that used pink or purple food coloring, should have been done without vinegar. It doesn't mix very well with the other colors when you use vinegar, I highly recommend just water. Luckily the disposable cups I purchased did have the warning so I could figure out what was wrong. Unfortunately, it was too late. And the colors did still turn out really beautifully. You can see especially on the purple one there's an odd texture to the color. That's from the vinegar. In the end I used 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 tbsp. vinegar, and left the eggs in for about 20 minutes. 


Here's the final product! Not the exact colors McCormick gave, but overall I think they turned out really well! Again, on the Apricot, Raspberry and Deep Purple colors; I should have done just water, I think they'd be a lot better if I had. Overall though, I deem this pin a success story! Especially because even my hubby had fun seeing the "cool" colors I was able to produce. Apparently he thought he was too "cool" (or maybe it's old...) for Easter egg dying. Thanks McCormick for proving him wrong!


No comments:

Post a Comment