Monday, October 6, 2014

A million apologies and, of course, a project!

Oh Internets! What grand plans I had to spend the summer doing super fun Pinterest crafts with my kids and blogging up a storm! It was going to be pure magic and my kids would grow up and tell their kids about all the beautiful memories we made..and that didn't happen. Okay, it kind of happened. We had a great summer doing fun stuff and making memories and all that jazz it's just the blogging part that never happened! I had equally high hopes when the kids went back to school..with only Poquito Tito home I imagined that I'd have LOADS of time to craft at my leisure and to share those crafts with you! And that didn't happen either. I have no idea why I'm so busy but I swear I live my life at a constant sprint! But here I am. With a rebellious project (inspired by Pinterest, reinvented by me!). But I digress!
So we are tightening our belts around here. Trying to get out of our living nightmare that is this house we own and move back to the big city. (I've started another blog charting THOSE adventures. If you want to read about my inevitable mis-adventures in budgeting, read here.) Part of this process includes me giving up (SOB!) my debit and credit cards and paying cash for everything. Naturally this is a process that can't be done without first going to Pinterest and looking for cute ideas for the Dave Ramsey envelope system that everyone swears by. This is what I found
So these are super easy--there's a printable template that you just print on pretty paper, cut it out and put it together. But my printer was ALL THE WAY DOWNSTAIRS (I am coveting a wireless printer but alas! Belt tightening.) so I got out this fancy little thing:
This is the We R Memory Makers Envelope Punch Board that I got from Stampin UP! I also busted out my pretty paper. The stuff I hoard because I don't want to "waste" it. This here gizmo has a handy guide on the bottom that tells you what measurements to use based on what size envelope you want. I measured a dollar bill and decided I needed an envelope that was 3.5x6. According to the chart, I cut my paper to 7 7/8 x 7 7/8

Then, using the Envelope Punch Board (heretofore to be referred to as the EPB because I'm lazy) I moved the paper to the 2 3/4 mark, pushed the punch button on top and used the score line to score the paper.


Can you see my little score line?


Then I rotated the paper, lined the newly made score line with that pointy part on the left, punched and scored again.


I did this 3 times and then this is what I had


I folded it up and voila--an envelope template ready to just be folded up. Only, when I folded it I realized my little flaps were too long. Sigh. This is my life, folks.


I trimmed those suckers down and realized I left my adhesive in the craft room. Seriously? I think I've had a stroke and I don't remember. Luckily I had some double-sided tape handy (because, really, who doesn't?)


I taped the flaps with the double-sided tape and stuck em together!



Tada! Now I just need some money (who doesn't?) ..I had a dollar lying around. I hope it's not awkward how I flaunt my wealth.


I made two of these--one for grocery/household purchases and another for personal/entertainment. These are really the only things I can use cash to buy. I thought about my shopping trip today and how nervous I was that my purchases would be more than the $100 I'd planned (nothing to fear--it was 99.27! Bam!) and that I'd have to play the "put it back" game. Nobody wants to play that game. So I decided I needed a divider and I'd keep 2 weeks' worth of money in the envelope so I had some wiggle room. I need wiggle room. So I just cut a piece of paper that matched the other envelope and put it in there. 


Voila. Now, I didn't use the pin I found for this project this time. I have, however, used it in the past so I can vouch that it's a win. Whether I can stick to this envelope system or not remains to be seen. Feel free to check out the other blog to find out if I can make it or not. Do you have any great money-saving tips? Feel free to share them below. I need all the help I can get!!!

1 comment:

  1. I use an old photo file for this system and it's GREAT! I have categories for: Groceries (most personal care products, paper products, etc, fall into this category), Haircuts, Pets (food, toys, VET), Office Supplies, Clothing (separate envelope for dry cleaning cuz Bruce doesn't iron anymore), Kids Activities (ASK me how expensive ice skating is getting!), Restaurants/Entertainment, and Gifts. Travel and Christmas money is taken out automatically each pay day. Seriously LOVE this system. We have ZERO debt, except the mortgage, and all travel is paid for UP FRONT!

    ReplyDelete