Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Another Split-Decision Pin! Crock Pot Orange Chicken

Okay, I pinned this one twice. (Tangent ahead. Feel free to skim. Here's where I feel like I should let you in on a secret, Internets. I sleep horribly. According to The Boy, I sleep once every other Thursday. This is a problem because I love sleep, I get grumpy when I don't sleep and I turn into a wild-eyed snarling version of their mother who frightens the children. For this reason, I am super great pals with the makers of Ambien. So I take my Ambien and then go to bed and scroll through Pinterest until the ole Velvet Hammer kicks in and I fall asleep with my phone on my face. Yep. It happens. This is how I manage to pin things a thousand times--I'm usually completely Ambienified and have no real clue what I'm doing even though it makes sense in my muddled brain. I have the random text messages and Facebook status updates to prove it! Tangent over)

http://thefrugalgirls.com/2013/04/crockpot-orange-chicken-recipe.html


So to start this adventure, I cut up some chicken (I used 2 chicken breasts and I cut them into bite sized pieces..this fed 2 grown ups and 3 kids) and tossed it in the crockpot. I added a teeny bit of water and also sprinkled a little ginger, garlic, salt and pepper on the chicken. I cooked it on high for 3 hours then added the marmalade, barbecue sauce and soy sauce. I used the exact brands suggested--the Sweet Baby Rays sauce has a teeny tiny hint of spice to it, I think, which helps control the sweetness of the marmalade. 


I mixed it all up and cooked it on high for about 30 minutes while I cooked the rice. The instructions say to cover it for these 30 minutes but I wanted the sauce to thicken so I kept it uncovered. 
I don't have a photo of the final meal. Sorry. I had a Youth Council meeting so my family ate without me and when I got home I was so hungry I forgot to take the picture! Whoops! 
Final decision? The kids hated it. I don't think The Boy liked it much but I've not seen him since he ate it (nights like these remind me that we are DANG involved in our community!!) so I can't tell you for sure. I was excited to make it because orange chicken is Don Diego's favorite meal of all time but he was not impressed and only choked it down in hopes of getting dessert. (Denied. Bummer.) Now, I on the other hand, really liked it! I loved tartness of the marmalade and the flavor of the barbecue sauce..yum! So I say win. Everyone else around here says, "only if we get dessert for eating it." I'm a SUPER picky eater so I think it's worth a shot. It's fast, inexpensive..you may like it. Just plan on having dessert afterwards in case you hate it as much as my kids did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment