Thursday, October 9, 2014

Taylor Hates to Cook

     Hello internets! I, like my cohort Peggy, had many grand intentions for the summer and early fall and all the amazing things I could accomplish and blog about. But then life happened. How rude of it, really. So between finishing my last class for my bachelors degree in July, and switching jobs at the beginning of September, that whole "Homemaker" thing, has been a no-go. My poor husband has had a HUGE chunk of household responsibility thrown at him. He does pretty much all of the cooking lately. Unless of course we go out. (That may or may not happen WAY too often...) I don't come home until about 8 pm these days and if I didn't like to cook before, I hate it now. It's so much WORK! How do you people manage to do this daily? (Really, I'm being serious, HOW?!) So since my partner in crime isn't the *best* cook in the world... I had to come up with something to stop personally funding the restaurant industry around here.
     I've heard so many great stories about freezer crockpot meals. But... I'm a picky eater. I hate onions, guys. I hate them. Even onion salt. I don't like it. I'm sorry, but you CAN taste it, and it still tastes disgusting. (Insert whining here...) So I was really hesitant to try it. But, I did. And I am SO glad. These freezer meals have been life savers on more than one occasion!
This is pre-freezing. I did learn one lesson, don't stack them to freeze! They stick together, and are hard to get apart. Ha!
      I'm fired on the photo taking front. I only got this one of them already in the freezer. I did a total of 6 of them to test the waters, and only one was a flop. The broccoli cheese soup was gross. The texture was all wrong and the spiciness was just odd. I'd say 5/6 isn't too bad for a picky eater though!I tried out my favorite BBQ chicken recipe (showcased previously here...) as a freezer meal too, and it was a win! It tasted just as good, which is good to know! I gathered my recipes from all over the internet, but if you're new to the freezer meal scene, this is a good place to start!

     I've found that the 9-9.5 hours between me leaving for work in the morning and me getting home is too long for most of the recipes though, even just on warm. So I pull one out in the morning, set it in the crock pot for my husband and he dumps it in and turns the crock pot on when he gets home. The thawing time is just about perfect . It works for us. It is so nice to come home to dinner already prepared. It's been amazing. Pinterest, I never should have doubted you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment