Thursday, October 16, 2014

Plop Plop Fizz Fizz...

Alright, this is one if those pins I've pinned like 3 times so clearly on some perhaps subconscious level I have a deep-rooted fear that my garbage disposal stinks. I drink enough Dirty Diet Coke that I usually just toss the limes down and turn that sucker on but alas! Belt tightening. One million Peggy Points to the person who shows up at my door with a beverage for me. Unless I don't know you. Then those points may or may not he converted into a restraining order..all depending of course on how large the beverage is and whether it not you sprang for extra coconut. But I digress!! So here's the pin


So it seemed really easy with products I have on hand--a good thing since I'm living a cash-only life and spent my extra money on frites and a gaufre (fries and a waffle from the most AMAZING little Belgian establishment in Salt Lake) and feel zero remorse. Oy with the digressing already! Sorry. These were my supplies:


Baking soda, salt, dish soap (any kind) and a lemon. Easy peasy!

First I mixed 3/4c baking soda and 1/2 c salt in a bowl. I added 1/2 tsp dish soap as per the directions but ended up adding more later. You'll see. 


Then I used a zester to get all of the lemon peel all the way around the lemon (photo cred to Don Diego since I couldn't  zest and photograph at the same time!)

So glad you can see the heap o crap on my counter top!

Then I squoze (squeezed? Had squozen?) the juice from the lemon. This was the dangerous part. The lemon half slipped right out of my hand causing me to cut one of my fingers with my fingernail and since my hands were covered in lemon juice...does anyone else have these sorts of problems? I swear! Anyway..the juicing..


The pin says to use about 3 Tbsp of juice. I used all of it. Then I started mixing it with a spoon. Then the instructions say to mix it until it's the consistency of coarse sand. I was worried it wouldn't hold up so I added more dish soap until I could just form it into a ball


The instructions suggest using a rounded measuring spoon to form them but I was worried about them popping out easily so I used one of these silicone cookie scooper things where you push the bottom and out plops the dough (or in this case, heavenly scented concoction)

I kept going until I was out of stuff. I put some parchment paper down on a pan and put the little blobs on that so they can sit overnight. I got 13 little blobs (the Boy felt it best to err on the side of caution and not call them "bombs" on the blog.) Whatever you want to call them, here they are. Sooo pretty and they smell fantastic. I love that you can see the lemon rind..


Tomorrow I'll update you. I'm not optimistic they won't crumble when I put them in a glass jar..we shall see. ´A demain, cher Internets!

***Good morning! So I took the blobs off the parchment and put them in a jar. They held their shape just fine but ARE a little crumbly. I'm still worried the ones on the bottom if the jar are going to get crushed and crumble. Time will tell. I put one in my garbage disposal, added a little vinegar (to react with the baking soda) and it was awesome! This pin (with a few tweaks) wins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment